Ever wish you could transform yourself into a doe-eyed deer? What about giving yourself a permanent flower crown? If the answer is yes, meet Snapchat.
Brands, businesses, and people all over the world have become engulfed in the world of snaps, filters, and disappearing content. Users on the platform have the ability to send photos and videos to their friends and loyal followers. Users also have the ability to doodle, add color, use filters, and even speed up video. The sense of urgency Snapchat delivers is unlike any other platform, with a timer of 10 seconds or less on each photo or video sent. We’re here to show you why 150 million people (and brands) are using the platform and how to get it kickstarted for your business.
It may sound daunting to start from step one, but rest assured, hundreds of brands have done it successfully. From the likes of Taco Bell to Gatorade, Snapchat has been used to gain awareness using custom filters, geotags, and snapchat “lens”.
So, where to start?
First, we’ll use Gatorade as an example.
According to International Business Times, Gatorade’s Super Bowl Sunday sponsored lens was viewed more than 100 million times. Now, this is not to say they didn’t spend big bucks. Gatorade reportedly spent a whopping $750,000 to garner the wide attention.
The important thing to note here is the fact that Snapchat has 100 million daily active users. Period. That’s more than Facebook and Instagram combined.
Gatorade noticed the opportunity at hand and went for it.
You may be wondering how you can do the same. Hubspot has some great tips for getting started. Here’s a few:
- Create your Snapchat account. Here’s a step-by-step if you’re having trouble.
- Share your Snapchat name with your customers, starting with your business or brand’s blog. This will, of course, make your loyal followers aware of your new-found presence on the app.
- Include your Snapchat name on all other social accounts, using the “bio” or “about me” page.
- Make your followers aware that you’re using Snapchat to release special information that can ONLY be found on Snapchat. Brands like Warby Parker utilize the platform to release special edition glasses and host unique sales.
- Consider offering a reward for adding the brand or business on Snapchat, like a one-time use discount code.
- Utilize a social influencer or blogger to help spread the word. In other words, have them “take over” the account for a day to gain awareness and pull in their followers.
Sounds easy enough, right?
Here’s some more good news – you’ve come at the right time. Snapchat continues to roll out features for businesses and brands. The latest? Expansion of advertising. Users watching stories are now able to view ads when switching from story to story – which is unavoidable if you have multiple friends on the platform.
Using a Snapchat ad is a great way to gain the attention of your ideal audience. By tailoring the ad to your market in a 10-second video, the potential of your users “swiping up” is five times higher than the average click-through rate on other social platforms. That, my friends, is a win.
Below, we’ll break down some other ways you can engage with your audience using Snapchat:
- Geofilters – OnDemand and Sponsored
- Snapchat Sponsored Lens
- These are interactive and brands like Taco Bell have seen huge success.
- Utilize Snapchat’s Creative Partners
- This also comes with a price, but should you need help forming a campaign, Snapchat can help.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed at the price tag of advertising on the platform, there are alternate ways to grow your audience organically:
- Simple – create an awesome story! Stories live on your follower’s pages for up to 24 hours. That’s a large window. Take advantage of it and get creative in your approach (if you need tips, SourPatch Kids knocked it out of the park).
- Offer some sort of reward, like a coupon or discount code. Since stories disappear within 24 hours, users are much more likely to visit your page should they hear about a promotion.
- Document special events – did your company just throw an incredible Christmas party? Use your top talent to capture the night on video! Check out the filter we created for our open house!
- Showcase from behind the scenes how your brand or business operates
Though there are brands who’ve already ridden the wave of success using Snapchat, it’s not too late. EMarketer reports the platform will grow its user base by double digits. Convinced now?
We recommend getting familiar with the platform on a personal level before jumping into action with the tools above. Recruit a friend to help you navigate the world of snaps. Once you have a good understanding, it’s time to outline a plan of attack.
A few questions to ask before getting started are…
- What is the age range of my audience?
- What kind of content do they enjoy?
In general, you’re aiming to create a one-of-a-kind user experience for your audience, so figuring out how to do that will require creative insights, unique solutions, and the right approach. SocialMedia Examiner outlines a step-by-step look if you’re still feeling overwhelmed. With the right approach, you could be on your way to success! Happy Snapping.